Tuesday, June 4, 2013

"One of the best pieces of advice my mother ever gave me is to make sure I have standards and not expectations. Standards are for me -- they're the rules I live by, the myriad ways I define my self-worth by rising to meet my own high bar, earning the self-esteem that goes hand in hand with achieving these standards, and setting the tone for how others treat me by treating myself with respect. Expectations are us trying to will other people to do what we want -- since we can't control anyone besides ourselves, this is an exercise in futility and sets us up for disappointment and hurt. If someone doesn't meet your standards, get them out of your life. If someone doesn't meet your expectations, take a closer look at what you're asking them for and choose whether to readjust. Often, expectations have so much more to do with us and what we need than other people and what they are (or are not) willing to give."
Daphne Oz, Chef, Author and Co-Host, ABC's "The Chew"

No comments:

Post a Comment