Saturday, September 29, 2012

Hacking Dreams, One Student At a Time

I remember years ago, working at Pharmerica in college I told some older guy, a coworker I wanted to move to NYC. He was from Brooklyn, a tough old Italian that liked to refer to anyone and mostly everyone as a sonofabitch. This was back in Fl, still in college where it seemed more like an idea then anything. But people love to crush dreams.

He reminded me and stated the obvious, it was so expensive , I'd already have to have a job or a network of friends, something. I of course, wasn't enough to make it. Since he was from the city, I took it as something holy. He had to be right so I never said it again. I just agreed.

I think a lot of people do this under the guise of "saying it's for your own good." When really it's because they can't achieve what they want. What they really seek out in life. It's their way of also holding you back and keeping you at their level.

When I told people about the job I got up here I could see those who were excited for me, they knew I wanted out of Florida and they were excited. Some never congratulated me, Felipe. Not that I'm bitter.

Either way: I'm here, so what you think of me now you sonofabitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment