Thursday, May 31, 2012

First Few Days

On the plane ride here, i almost had a panic attack. To be honest the only thing that made me justify it to myself that it wasn't a REAL panic attack was because i didn't throw up and scream like a crazy person. But the panic felt real, it felt legit. Not only because i left my things but i left my friends , my dog, my family. Honestly though, i left myself. The me i left still was unambitious, worked hard and asked for a raise but didn't push when i didn't get it. I was lazy with my career. I got careless. I undervalued myself. Like everyone does when they are under 30, unmarried and childless. New York seems like a good a place as any to grow up and get involved in a career for a future. My hotel is amazing, I'm super lucky the company allows me to stay here while i search for a long term housing. Here is the rooftop
On the first day after work I took a long walk to the new tower NYC is building in the Financial District.
Afterwards walked to a bar called B Sharp, an old Piano Bar in Soho. All the menu's were lined with old piano music.
I'm usually so drained after work, i have to force myself to do anything. I usually do, since the fear of being lost out ways pretty much all else. Most important is work. This job has been the best thing....ever! To come from a company where the stopped paying for spoons and forks to have every single meal catered and every coffee/cappuccino/individual coffee maker/unlimited soda/Pierre/bottled water/V8, all of it free, delivered from fresh direct every morning. It's amazing. The snack closet alone is enough to stay (almonds, protein bars, cheese, waffles, yogurt, ice cream, crackers, chips, literally everything) . They also keep beer/wine in the kitchen for Friday after work at 5. How amazing is that? The only reason i brag so openly is because for so long, so long, i stayed at a shitty GIANT company that didn't listen to their employees or VALUE them at all. They never listened. At my job now they get mad if you don't have any thing to contribute in meetings. They encourage you to take breaks, play ping pong and sit down one on one with the ceo at lunch. Why doesn't every job do this again? (They supply a laptop, blackberry and a new kindle for free too, yeah im bragging so what.) I guess my only closing statement could be in, when your old boss holds a "city meeting" and tells you dont let HIM STAY IN THE WAY OF A BETTER JOB. It's time to move on. Way past time. Over due.

No comments:

Post a Comment